Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 3 (Krugersdorp Game Reserve and St. Stithians)


This morning, I went on a safari of the Krugersdorp Game reserve, the same place where we are staying. It was amazing, and although it was only a three hour tour, we saw all sorts of amazing animals. On top of seeing many different breeds of antelope and game animals; we saw lions, rhinoceros, zebras, and giraffe. When we came back, we saw ostrich wandering through our camp, what an experience!

Lunch today was my first real South African cultural experience. After the safari, Johan, our tour guide called our group over to compete in an Africa contest. There was a line and we were supposed to launch an object as far as we could from the other side. What we didn’t know was that the object we had to launch was antelope poop, and the way we had to launch it is with my mouth. I wasn’t bad, placed around the middle of the pack, but this game definitely got me out of my shell. This is not something I would have done anywhere or could have imagined doing outside of South African culture.

Lunch was also another South African cultural experience. We had what was called a “Braai lunch” which consisted of many different kinds of meat, including; lamb, chicken, and sausage. I was a fan of the local foods. The meat was much better seasoned then it is in America and I enjoyed the meal very much. Dessert consisted of a type of pudding doused in custard. It was excellent and has become my new favorite dessert.

That evening, we went a performed a concert at St. Stithians with the “Wits”, “Dukes” and St. Stithians Boy’s choir. While most of the repertoire was American in nature such as “Mr. Bojangles” and “Bohemian Rhapsody,” we ended the program by singing an African song with all the choirs as well as another group our guide brought in to watch. It was the first time I had ever sung an African song, this was something very new for me.

Afterwards, we had a reception with the students and parents and had the opportunity to converse with them. I was interesting to learn about some of the organizational and legal differences between the United States and South Africa but I realized that we have a lot in common with them at the same time. That was a very interesting exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment