Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 6 (University of Cape Town)




Today we spent the first half of our day in transit from Johannesburg to Cape Town. We spent our evening at the beautiful University of Cape Town and performed with their choir. This was another great exchange. Before the concert, we spent an hour learning two African songs which we performed at the end of the concert. We had to click again, but I learned that even some natives have difficulties with it while singing! This made me feel a little better about myself. Their concert repertoire was all Western music but ranged from serious pieces such as The Blue Bird, to light, fun pieces such as Short People.

Dinner after the concert with the choir was enjoyable. I struck up a very interesting conversation with one of the students about a range of issues facing South Africa from the poverty issue to the cost of education and its availability. He was very insightful and I hope to stay in contact with him into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment