We started our day by visiting the absolutely gorgeous Cape Peninsula and the Cape of Good Hope. This has got to be some of the most beautiful scenery in Africa.
I spent the afternoon in an impoverished section in South Africa, volunteering and spreading good will. The first stop was at a local school where the school choir performed for us. While all the songs were very nice, they sung one song about HIV that really stood out to me. While this content would be considered appalling for children at the 3-5 grade level to sing about in the United States, in a country such as South Africa where the HIV rate is over 40% it is common place. That really stood out to me.
After that, I moved on to a township where they were taking people out of shacks and putting them into real houses. After spending the afternoon helping out with construction, I was able to see one of the houses handed over. This was a very moving ceremony and made me realize that these simple things give these people hope and aspire to get more. I am proud to have been a part of helping move South Africa forward.
I spent the afternoon in an impoverished section in South Africa, volunteering and spreading good will. The first stop was at a local school where the school choir performed for us. While all the songs were very nice, they sung one song about HIV that really stood out to me. While this content would be considered appalling for children at the 3-5 grade level to sing about in the United States, in a country such as South Africa where the HIV rate is over 40% it is common place. That really stood out to me.
After that, I moved on to a township where they were taking people out of shacks and putting them into real houses. After spending the afternoon helping out with construction, I was able to see one of the houses handed over. This was a very moving ceremony and made me realize that these simple things give these people hope and aspire to get more. I am proud to have been a part of helping move South Africa forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment